In order to keep your skin glowing and radiant, there are several holistic beauty tricks you’ve got to bring into your routine! By making even just a few of these additions, you’ll notice your skin becoming brighter, healthier, supple, and contain that natural glow that we all try to mimic with the right makeup. Especially now that the weather is becoming cooler, it’s time to give our bodies and skin the extra pampering and TLC it deserves!
1.Dry Skin Brushing
This is a revitalizing process that will stimulate your skin to promote circulation and tone, both by sloughing off dead skin cells and increasing lymph drainage. This is very different though from using a wet loofah (in the shower), since you’ll want the stronger, therapeutic effect of the dry bristles against your skin. Using a loofah or massage brush (with natural bristles), begin brushing from your feet upward in light yet firm, circular motions (you always want to brush towards the heart) – going clockwise on your abdomen, and doing figure-8s on your chest. The entire process should take 3-5 minutes and since it is stimulating, it is most beneficial if done before your morning shower! Once you are in the shower, rinse your skin with cold water for 1 minute – this is important to ensure all of the dead skin cells are removed by stimulating your pores to close. *AVOID areas with any open cuts or abrasions, as well as any skin irritations such as eczema and psoriasis.
2. The Proper Way to Apply Moisturizer
Being such a crucial step to your beauty routine, there is actually an art to this application process! First, you’ll want to fight gravity by applying your moisturizer upward and outward. It’s best to start from your neck and décolletage, lightly massaging your way upward, from your chin to your cheeks and ears, and forehead to scalp. Usually we just slop on our products and don’t really think about it. However, there is so much beauty benefit to be derived from making this a therapeutic process and taking the extra minute to massage your skin in gentle yet firm, circular motions.
Next, you’ll want to use the “tapping method or tapotement”, that is, using the tips of your fingers to tap your way all across your face. It may sound silly, but it is an extremely effective way to stimulate blood circulation, increase cell turnover, and stimulate your capillaries to release carbon dioxide and purify the skin.
Last, you may have heard of the term ‘Lymph Drainage’, which is a gentle massage encouraging the natural drainage of lymph, carrying waste products out of the body by directing them away from the tissues and toward the heart. By directing lymph drainage from the head and neck you are helping to reduce puffiness in the face, release toxins causing stagnation of the pores, and promoting skin tightness. Perform lymph drainage of the head and neck on yourself by taking your thumb on either side of your neck just under your ear lobe. You may have experienced swollen lymph nodes in this area at one point and may be able to feel them. From here, use your thumb to push down your neck in a firm, smoothing motion. Do this on both sides of your neck and you will be amazed at how your skin responds!
3.Drink Liver Cleansing Tea
Part of having beautiful, radiant skin is having a well-functioning liver. This is paramount because your liver works diligently to remove the toxins from your body. Unfortunately however, over time it can become sluggish and these toxins will be eliminated via other pathways, i.e your skin! It’s a great idea to incorporate liver cleansing herbal teas into your daily routine. There are many great brands out there, but you’ll want to look for a few of these key herbs:
- Dandelion (also that delicious weed in your backyard! It’s a celebrated liver cleanser that helps to reduce acne and stimulate bile flow from the liver)
- Milk Thistle (has been used for thousands of years for liver regeneration and support)
- Yellow Dock (blood purifier, cleanses the body of toxins, and enhances liver function)
- Peppermint (stimulates bile flow and the reduction of bad cholesterol, allowing the liver to filter toxins out more easily)
Other herbs offering major liver benefits include: red clover, burdock root, red clover flower, nettle, and plantain leaf.
To further aid in healthy liver function, you’ll also want to reduce your intake of caffeine, alcohol, and processed foods, while getting plenty of filtered/distilled water throughout the day to support detoxification.
4.DIY Pore Cleansing Steam Facial
This facial is just about the best thing you can do for your pores and is very simple to create. Not only will you be completely releasing any toxins and debris tucked away in your skin, but you will be cleansing it on the deepest level.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First, mix 2 tablespoons for baking soda with enough water to form a paste. Use this as a light exfoliation to prep your skin by removing any dead skin cells that have been accumulating.
- Next, boil water and then add this water to a bowl (avoid plastic) and add either fresh herbs or essential oils. Parsley as a fresh herb is an excellent astringent to draw out any impurities, while tea tree essential oil is a very effective anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral. You can get creative and add as many herbs or oils that you desire, to release their healing properties into your pores!
- Now, sit down with your face over the bowl and put a towel over your head to seal in the steam. Sit like this for 10-15 minutes. Once you are finished remove the towel and gently pat dry your face. Finish with a cold facial rinse to seal your pores and apply your facial toner. You will have the rosiest glow ever and your skin will be thanking you!
5.Engage in a Daily Beauty Mantra
Last but not least, make it a point to tell yourself just how beautiful you are – INSIDE and OUT! After all, what we tend to repeat has a powerful way of becoming reality. If you have certain beauty goals or could use a regular pick-me-up, create some uplifting mantra cards that you can place around your home or office, reminding your to recite something beautiful to yourself. You will be amazed at how your world will change, just by doing such a simply daily act. Write it down, recite it, and witness the magic our words hold! And remember, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.